Skip to main content

Lessons Learned on the Way to the Top: A Q&A with Deirdre Thurston



Deirdre is the author of the collection of short stories Caught. Writing Daze caught up with Deirdre recently and asked her some questions On Writing. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by her answers. 

About Deirdre Thurston

A mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend, confidante, Deirdre Thurston has been an observer of people her whole life. Sifting through the debris of quotidian angst, Deirdre gently excavates its relics and dusts off their funny side.

Visit:
            my website
            my Facebook page
            my Twitter
Order my book:
            on Amazon
            on Barnes & Noble




About the Book: CAUGHT

Caught is a collection of stories that explore the deeper human themes: expectation, desire, loss, hope, fear, joy, redemption. And while the collection as a whole is relentlessly empathic, each retelling is colourful and sharp; here acidic and humourous, there bittersweet with pathos.

In this era of increasing social disconnection – in which technology is replacing intimacy and life occurs at a pace that challenges our ability to stop, observe and interpret our own existence and its relationship with those around us – Caught’s celebration of the everyday experience offers nourishment for the harried soul.

Book Excerpt

The young woman stood between the old gateposts, which were the only reason the rickety wooden fence, paint peeled almost entirely off, remained standing . . . on a precarious lean.
            In her arms she cradled a brown cat, soft tummy up, round body topped with a small round head like a chocolate pudding. Lifting its head, the cat popped out a fuchsia-pink tongue and delicately licked the woman’s small chin. She placed a kiss on his sun-warmed head.
            They were comfortable together this morning, going nowhere.




On Writing:

Q:  What motivated you to write the book?
       A lifelong dream I’d had. I was always searching for that ‘something else’ in my life. It is writing. When I sit to write – whether it be scribbles of nothing or an idea, I am in my happy place. It is what I love to do. The world seems at rights.

Q:  What is the single most useful thing you have learned and how has it helped you as a writer.
Write from your heart. Don’t worry about what people will think. Let it flow out.

Q:  What would you say are your main literary influences?
In my genre: David Sedaris. He makes me laugh. Always a good thing don’t you think? His  un-PC approach is refreshing and hilarious but he can still show pathos.
I love many authors and each book is a treasure.


  
Questions for Fun

Q: What’s your favorite color?
Blue/white/yellow/blue….
    
Q: What’s your favorite author and why?
In my genre it is David Sedaris. He is un-PC, witty and hilarious.
I love Ian McEwan. His stories and style capture me each and every time.

Q: What are three things that your fans don’t know about you?
I’m an insomniac.
I stoop to pat every animal I come across.
 I hate people wearing shoes in the house.


Thanks Deirdre for stopping
It was my pleasure, thank you. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frank Nash: the Most Inspirational English Teacher I Ever Did Know! By Vincent Zandri author of The Remains

I never set out to be a writer. Back in 1979, when I entered the Second Form in a 200 year old, all boys, military school called, The Albany Academy, I simply wanted to become a rock n’ roll star. Like Ringo or Keith Moon, I wanted to play drums in a huge rock band, make a ton of money doing it, get lots of girls, and see the world. While most of the uniformed boys sat attentively in math class, taking copious notes, I drew illustrations of huge drums sets and stared out the window. All that changed when for the first time, I was introduced to Frank Nash in my second term English lit and writing course. First thing that caught my attention was the classroom itself. The Academy was an old building even back then, having been built in the 1920s. Made of stone and strong woods, with real blackboards instead of chalk boards, the place seemed like a kind of time warp. A school caught perpetually in the 19th century instead of one that would see the 21st century in only two more decades. But

Don’t Let Perfection and Procrastination Steal Your Writing Success

“Writing happens when you stay consistent and keep encouraging yourself that it’s okay to put words on the page.”   - Rebecca Camarena, author   You’ve started your book and you’ve written a few pages. You’re on a roll and when you stop for the day you promise to write daily. But the next thing you know you haven’t written in days. When you start writing each time you type a sentence, your inner editor cringes. You’re terrified you’re going to write something dreadful, so you don’t write anything. You stare at the blank page. You may have even started to question whether you should be writing a book at all. In your mind you wrote something great that first day and you consider yourself a great writer. Writers have this image of the literary greats sitting at their typewriters banging out their stories. You think they sit down and keep writing from the first page to the last. Since you want to emulate them you feel that you have to be perfect each time you write. If this sou

Seven Things About Dangerous Impulses

Today, I we have author F.M. Meredith visiting with us. I have had the pleasure of meeting Marilyn at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival a number of years ago. Join me as she shares seven things about her book.   1.       Dangerous Impulses is # 9 in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. Though every mystery is complete, every crime solved and the book written as a stand-alone, things happen to the continuing characters: the police officers and their families. Rocky Bluff is a small Southern California Beach community, located between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and mostly overlooked by tourists. 2.       In every RBPD mystery/crime novel there are ongoing characters. One of the most popular with readers is Officer Gordon Butler. Nothing ever seems to go easy for him. Though he is not the “star” in Dangerous Impulses like he was in No Bells , I think his fans will be happy with what he ends up doing near the end of the book. Other characters are: Detective Milligan and his wi