Skip to main content

Lessons Learned on the Way to Top: A Q&A with Jennifer Manghisi



About A Sarcastic Guide to Beating Breast Cancer

Author Jennifer Manghisi was diagnosed with breast cancer at the very early age of twenty-four. Sitting in the doctor’s office listening to the diagnosis, Jennifer and her parents were shocked. Jennifer’s life had only just begun. A recent college graduate, she had only just launched her career in the fashion industry. Now, before her life had truly begun, Jennifer was faced with the prospect of losing a breast. But she was strong. Though the diagnosis was bleak, Jennifer found the strength to be grateful that the prospects were not worse. 

Death as a result of breast cancer is on the decline, and she was thankful for that. Even so, there is more to deal with when facing breast cancer than mortality, as Jennifer has since learned. In her motivational memoir, A Sarcastic Guide to Beating Breast Cancer, Jennifer Manghisi shares what she learned on her journey to survival. From coping with the diagnosis to managing chemotherapy to managing the depression and becoming healthy again, Jennifer shares important and insightful advice on becoming a breast cancer survivor that only experience can teach. 

In this inspiring true story of will, determination, and perseverance, Jennifer shares the highs and lows of her intense battle for her life. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with breast cancer, Jennifer’s story can be a source of inspiration to you.

Purchase A Sarcastic Guide to Beating Breast Cancer at Amazon 



Welcome to Writing Daze Jennifer,

Hello! Thank you for having me.


Q: Who or what motivated you to write A Sarcastic Guide to Beating Breast Cancer?  

In March of this year, I finished my final surgical procedure, which was a day I never thought I’d see, and when that happened I felt so many emotions, I thought it would be a good idea to put them all down on paper.  That was how my book was born.
Q: What types of books do you read and how have they influenced your writing?
I generally read fiction, adventure and sci-fi type of books.  This book is non-fiction however I tried to pull from the other genres in terms of the way I described what was happening in my story and the people that were present.  
Q: Are there any specific things in your past which influenced A Sarcastic Guide to Beating Breast Cancer? 
My grandmother passed away from breast cancer before I was born, of course the technology back then wasn’t as advanced as it is now.  A month before I was diagnosed, my mother was also diagnosed with stage 0 breast cancer and underwent a lumpectomy.  Being that my lineage has been directly impacted by the disease I felt like I was put on this earth to raise awareness for breast cancer especially in young females like myself. 
Q: What have you learned about the writing or publishing process and how has it helped you as a writer?
The writing process is a difficult one and it is not for the faint at heart.  Especially due to the nature of my book, the mental preparation before I wrote it I think took more time than the actual process of writing it from start to finish.  In college I used to write 20 page papers all the time and I also had an online publication which took hours and hours of writing every day so the process itself wasn’t new to me, the more challenging part was the emotions I was going through when I was writing it and the dark sad places my mind was forced to go to.


Q:  Describe your book in Five words or Less? 

I can describe it in two: emotional rollercoaster. 


Q: What makes your main character impatient or angry? 

I became very angry when I had learned that the cancer had returned after I had underwent weeks of chemotherapy and had a mastectomy of my right breast.  I couldn’t even fathom how that could even be possible. 
Q: Now that A Sarcastic Guide to Beating Breast Cancer has been published do you another book in the wings? 

I do!  I’m currently working on a cookbook which is based on my Italian Polish heritage.  I love to cook and I love to make recipes that have been in my family for years and years.  The recipes will mostly be based off of dishes my mother, grandmother, and aunt have made for various occasions over the years.
Q: Have you ever met any famous authors?  If so, how did you react?  If not, who would you want to meet?
I’ve met John Waters which was pretty unbelievable.  My best friend, Mario, and I were recording our radio show, which was taped out of Howard Stern’s old studio at CBS, and John Waters was a guest.  I remember being so excited on the inside but trying to play it cool at the same time.  He let us take a picture with him which was pretty cool and something I will never forget.


Q: Do you have any hidden talents? 
 I’m an excellent baker.  Chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin are my favorite cookies to make. 


Q: What are three things that your fans would be surprised to find out about you?
 1)      I’ve never actually picked out any of the outfits I’ve been photographed in
2)       I am a huge football fan and watch every single game every Sunday, Monday, and Thursday during the season (Go Colts!)
3)      As I get older I’ve been trying to chip away at my bucket list.  Before I turn 35, the one item that I have on my list and has been making me anxious is that I really want to move to London and get my MBA while living there.

Thank you Jennifer for sharing A Sarcastic Guide to Beating Breast Cancer

Thank you for chatting with me! 


About Jennifer Manghisi 

Jennifer was born on June 1, 1984. She is a native New Yorker. Jennifer grew up on Long Island and graduated from Bentley University with a Bachelor of Science degree from Bentley University in Business Management. Her hobbies include; traveling, cooking, fashion, and writing. She currently resides and works in New York City.

Purchase A Sarcastic Guide to Beating Breast Cancer at Amazon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frank Nash: the Most Inspirational English Teacher I Ever Did Know! By Vincent Zandri author of The Remains

I never set out to be a writer. Back in 1979, when I entered the Second Form in a 200 year old, all boys, military school called, The Albany Academy, I simply wanted to become a rock n’ roll star. Like Ringo or Keith Moon, I wanted to play drums in a huge rock band, make a ton of money doing it, get lots of girls, and see the world. While most of the uniformed boys sat attentively in math class, taking copious notes, I drew illustrations of huge drums sets and stared out the window. All that changed when for the first time, I was introduced to Frank Nash in my second term English lit and writing course. First thing that caught my attention was the classroom itself. The Academy was an old building even back then, having been built in the 1920s. Made of stone and strong woods, with real blackboards instead of chalk boards, the place seemed like a kind of time warp. A school caught perpetually in the 19th century instead of one that would see the 21st century in only two more decades. But

Seven Things About Dangerous Impulses

Today, I we have author F.M. Meredith visiting with us. I have had the pleasure of meeting Marilyn at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival a number of years ago. Join me as she shares seven things about her book.   1.       Dangerous Impulses is # 9 in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. Though every mystery is complete, every crime solved and the book written as a stand-alone, things happen to the continuing characters: the police officers and their families. Rocky Bluff is a small Southern California Beach community, located between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and mostly overlooked by tourists. 2.       In every RBPD mystery/crime novel there are ongoing characters. One of the most popular with readers is Officer Gordon Butler. Nothing ever seems to go easy for him. Though he is not the “star” in Dangerous Impulses like he was in No Bells , I think his fans will be happy with what he ends up doing near the end of the book. Other characters are: Detective Milligan and his wi

Don’t Let Perfection and Procrastination Steal Your Writing Success

“Writing happens when you stay consistent and keep encouraging yourself that it’s okay to put words on the page.”   - Rebecca Camarena, author   You’ve started your book and you’ve written a few pages. You’re on a roll and when you stop for the day you promise to write daily. But the next thing you know you haven’t written in days. When you start writing each time you type a sentence, your inner editor cringes. You’re terrified you’re going to write something dreadful, so you don’t write anything. You stare at the blank page. You may have even started to question whether you should be writing a book at all. In your mind you wrote something great that first day and you consider yourself a great writer. Writers have this image of the literary greats sitting at their typewriters banging out their stories. You think they sit down and keep writing from the first page to the last. Since you want to emulate them you feel that you have to be perfect each time you write. If this sou