Skip to main content

Manic Monday – A Day in the Life of Writer Jill Limber


 

About Montana Morning

In the Montana Territory town of Dennison, the law allows a woman to save a man from hanging if she agrees to marry him. Battered and nearly unconscious with a noose around his neck, Katherine Holman decides Wes Merrick is perfect husband material. Under the terms of her father’s will, due to a youthful indiscretion, she must be married to inherit. She expects her ‘husband’ to leave as soon as the deed is in her name. She wasn’t prepared for the fact that the man she has chosen turns out to be an honorable sort who decides to stick around and hold up his end of the bargain.


 A Day in the Life of Jill Limber


WD: Will you tell us about a day in the life of you the writer, what's your writing day is like. Do you balance family and writing, or writing and a job outside the house, or writing, a job and family? What was it like for you to write this book along with your busy life? 

JL:  Hmm. My writing day. 

Well, I look on my writing day the same way I look at my monthly budget. Twelve time a year there are set expenses, and once those obligations are met, then I can make decisions on what to do with the remaining money. My time for writing is like my basic expenses. It’s pledged--a given. Everything else comes second. 

But I have to admit, I run out of creative steam in about two to four hours, depending on where I am in a book, so I don’t have much problem fitting in book promotion and business, plus a half-time job, where I work from home, and kids and dogs and husband.

For me, writing the rough draft is the hardest. I’m still getting to know the characters and deciding where they are headed. I try to write from start to finish--from Chapter 1 to ‘The End’ with minimal editing and changes. Then I begin the rewriting, and the process becomes easier. I go through a manuscript at least five times, adding in emotions, setting, tweaking dialog and doing research. Thank goodness for the internet!  

The writing part of the day is my favorite--so it’s easy to put it first. I’m a morning person, so as soon as I grab that second cup of coffee and say a quick thank you to those ancient Arabians who discovered it’s magical properties, I’m at my computer.



After a quick scan of email, I get right down to the book I’m working on. I love the way a story unfolds and the characters take on form, even when they start to go in a direction I didn’t expect.

This particular book was such a gift, because it seemed to write itself in a way. Book plots can be a lot like children. From the moment they are ‘born’ they start to reveal their own personalities. Some are stubborn and want to go a different direction, some are shy and hide for a while before they uncover themselves, and some are erratic and bounce all over the place. This plot was cooperative and wonderful from the start.

The main character, the heroine, Katherine, is spunky and likable. And the hero, Wesley, is just plain delicious. The setting, the American West, is a favorite of mine. 

I’ve lived in Southern California all my life, but I have always been fascinated by the hardy people who chose to migrate to the vast regions of the western part of America and despite the odds, battle the elements to settle and make a life for themselves. The pioneers who were successful must have had amazing fortitude, and I hope this comes through in Montana Morning. 



A multi-published author and former RWA President, Jill Limber’s latest books are Montana Morning, A Heart That Dares and The Right Track. As a child, some of Jill’s tales got her in trouble, but now she gets paid for them. Residing in San Diego with her husband and a trio of dogs and one very ancient cat, Jill’s favorite pastime is to gather friends and family for good food, conversation and plenty of laughter.
You can visit her website at www.JillLimber.com.
Website | Facebook | Goodreads | Barnes & Noble | Burroughs Publishing Group | Official Tour Page


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frank Nash: the Most Inspirational English Teacher I Ever Did Know! By Vincent Zandri author of The Remains

I never set out to be a writer. Back in 1979, when I entered the Second Form in a 200 year old, all boys, military school called, The Albany Academy, I simply wanted to become a rock n’ roll star. Like Ringo or Keith Moon, I wanted to play drums in a huge rock band, make a ton of money doing it, get lots of girls, and see the world. While most of the uniformed boys sat attentively in math class, taking copious notes, I drew illustrations of huge drums sets and stared out the window. All that changed when for the first time, I was introduced to Frank Nash in my second term English lit and writing course. First thing that caught my attention was the classroom itself. The Academy was an old building even back then, having been built in the 1920s. Made of stone and strong woods, with real blackboards instead of chalk boards, the place seemed like a kind of time warp. A school caught perpetually in the 19th century instead of one that would see the 21st century in only two more decades. But

Seven Things About Dangerous Impulses

Today, I we have author F.M. Meredith visiting with us. I have had the pleasure of meeting Marilyn at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival a number of years ago. Join me as she shares seven things about her book.   1.       Dangerous Impulses is # 9 in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. Though every mystery is complete, every crime solved and the book written as a stand-alone, things happen to the continuing characters: the police officers and their families. Rocky Bluff is a small Southern California Beach community, located between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and mostly overlooked by tourists. 2.       In every RBPD mystery/crime novel there are ongoing characters. One of the most popular with readers is Officer Gordon Butler. Nothing ever seems to go easy for him. Though he is not the “star” in Dangerous Impulses like he was in No Bells , I think his fans will be happy with what he ends up doing near the end of the book. Other characters are: Detective Milligan and his wi

Don’t Let Perfection and Procrastination Steal Your Writing Success

“Writing happens when you stay consistent and keep encouraging yourself that it’s okay to put words on the page.”   - Rebecca Camarena, author   You’ve started your book and you’ve written a few pages. You’re on a roll and when you stop for the day you promise to write daily. But the next thing you know you haven’t written in days. When you start writing each time you type a sentence, your inner editor cringes. You’re terrified you’re going to write something dreadful, so you don’t write anything. You stare at the blank page. You may have even started to question whether you should be writing a book at all. In your mind you wrote something great that first day and you consider yourself a great writer. Writers have this image of the literary greats sitting at their typewriters banging out their stories. You think they sit down and keep writing from the first page to the last. Since you want to emulate them you feel that you have to be perfect each time you write. If this sou