Skip to main content

Manic Monday by author of Bloodmaiden, Christine Schulze


 
Monday – Manic Monday – tell us about a day in the life of you the writer, what's your writing day like. Do you balance family and writing, or writing and a job outside the house, or writing, a job and family? What was it like for you to write this book along with your busy life?

Manic Monday!

from Christine E. Schulze

I've heard that many authors have a set writing schedule of sorts. Some set aside a specific time to write everyday, while others give themselves a set word limit to complete throughout the week. For me though, I have always found such set routines far too limiting; they make the writing work, and although I do hope to make a living off my writing someday, I want it to come naturally. Writing has always been a passion, an enjoyable craft; I have loved honing and perfecting over the years. It has never been work--I have a day job for that.

As a young child, I suppose I wrote alot of my books from start to finish; that's easy when they're only around five pages long. These days though, my writing habits are as quirky as many of the worlds and characters in my books. I suppose my writing could be defined as laid-back and spontaneous at the same time. I hardly ever write a book from beginning to end. Often, I will have the general plot and at least some details in my head before I start, because I need to know where the book is going.

After that though, it's free reign; many times, I will have the end scene completed before the middle scenes. This is because, as I said, I don't adhere to "rules" or "schedules"; I write what I am inspired to write. If I feel like romance, and romance happens in chapter eight, who cares if chapters three through six are complete? If those chapters contain lots of action and I'm not in the mood for that, I'll be able to tell when I write the chapters--and so will my readers. I see no sense in stressing to finish a certain chapter just because.

It's the same with me and word lengths. I know there are standard "norms" for word lengths, but if a book feels done to me, I don't try to make it longer for the sake of length. And if it ends up longer than usual, that's okay too. That's one reason why I write in the realm of fantasy; I don't like my imagination to be stifled.

All that said, my writing life is pretty sporadic. Not only do I have to be in the right "mood", inspired for whatever I am working on, but, as mentioned above, I have a day job--at least until I become the next Meyers or Rowling. In the meantime, I love working with my toddlers at daycare and hope to do some substitute teaching in the fall. In 2010, I received my Bachelor in Elementary Education, so I love working with children of all ages. I especially enjoyed my student teaching; the third grade boys were quite enamored with my fantasy adventure series, The Hero Chronicles. It was nice to learn that younger readers enjoy my books too.

Besides working, I enjoy spending time with my wonderful sweetie, Jonny, reading new books in between writing my own, composing music for my books, and I've recently picked up a bit of video game design, though I admit that is more Jonny's forte. I'll usually squeeze my writing in between work, spending time with him, and on my precious days off, of course.

As for Bloodmaiden, it was the same with most of my other books. I wrote when I was inspired for a particular scene. Then, once I was almost done, I would go back and add in "filler" and other necessary transitions.

To other writers out there, I would like to encourage them to find their own style. There's always a way to fit the writing in, and in ways that work best for each individual. Whether spontaneously writing at your computer desk in the comfort of your new apartment, or curled up in bed pumping out those faithful thousand words a day, every writer can find their own sense of style which will be most productive, comfortable, and most importantly, fun for them. Writing may be your work, but it's most enjoyable when it doesn't feel like work. Remember your original passion for writing, and the rest will come to you.


About Bloodmaiden

“Zale. Gauthier. Varden. These three dynasties…
“They all sound like something out of an ancient oriental myth or fairy tale. The concept of humans and dragons helping and living in harmony with one another, without fear. To me, that’s exactly what they are. A distant dream only read of, whispered secretly, quietly yearned for.
“For, you see, I am the new Quelda of Tynan.”

These words echo the mystery, horror, and romance found within Schulze’s fantasy novel. Along with her new husband, Chalom, Crislin must choose to embrace cruel tradition, run from it, or stand against it. The young couple’s only hope is to rally the help of the three peaceful dragon dynasties of Sulaimon-but tradition is not on their side, even outside the realm of Tynan. The dragons outside Tynan’s borders have been rumored as too stubborn and proud to believe their Tynanian brothers would commit such horrors as inflicted upon the Quelda. Gaining their aid is not a likely hope. Yet, any hope at all is valued in Tynan.

If they are to stand a chance of bringing cruel tradition to a permanent end, Crisilin and Chalom must brave the constant, consuming blizzards of the Ever-white. They must brave the three dynasties and the challenges awaiting there. Together, they must convince the dragon emperors to allow them access to the shrines which house the sacred Aria – protective strands of music which may be able to disperse the evil from Tynan and unite the four dynasties of Sulaimon as a whole once again. Their only aid stems from a sprite whose moods are as unstable as her magic, a young minstrel, and a mysterious fox. Despite the odds, such plans are daring, dangerous, unprecedented, but fully possible – if they can escape the Wall first.

 
Christine E. Schulze has been creating books since she was too young to even write them in words. Her collection of YA fantasy books, The Amielian Legacy, is comprised of series and stand-alone books can all be read separately but which weave together to create an amazing fantasy. She hopes to inspire readers throughout the world with these books by publishing in both traditional and electronic formats to make them available to all readers.
Christine has published several stories with Calliope and Kalkion magazines and is an active member of the WE book online writing community. She has also published several Christian/fantasy books which are available at various online retailers, as well as publishing several eBooks via Writers-Exchange.


Her latest and most exciting venture includes her publications with Old Line Publishing: Bloodmaiden and Tears of a Vampire Prince: the First Krystine. She also anticipates her upcoming publication with Old Line, Lily in the Snow, as well as releasing The Chronicles of the Mira with Writers-Exchange in both paperback and electronic forms.
Christine currently lives in Belleville, Illinois in her first and most thrilling apartment.

You can visit Schulze at Goodreads at http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3242087.Christine_E_Schulze or her blog at www.goldenhealeratwork.blogspot.com.  Connect with her on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/Chasmira or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Chasmira.  Like her Fan Page at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Christine-E-Schulze/158265555890.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frank Nash: the Most Inspirational English Teacher I Ever Did Know! By Vincent Zandri author of The Remains

I never set out to be a writer. Back in 1979, when I entered the Second Form in a 200 year old, all boys, military school called, The Albany Academy, I simply wanted to become a rock n’ roll star. Like Ringo or Keith Moon, I wanted to play drums in a huge rock band, make a ton of money doing it, get lots of girls, and see the world. While most of the uniformed boys sat attentively in math class, taking copious notes, I drew illustrations of huge drums sets and stared out the window. All that changed when for the first time, I was introduced to Frank Nash in my second term English lit and writing course. First thing that caught my attention was the classroom itself. The Academy was an old building even back then, having been built in the 1920s. Made of stone and strong woods, with real blackboards instead of chalk boards, the place seemed like a kind of time warp. A school caught perpetually in the 19th century instead of one that would see the 21st century in only two more decades. But

Seven Things About Dangerous Impulses

Today, I we have author F.M. Meredith visiting with us. I have had the pleasure of meeting Marilyn at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival a number of years ago. Join me as she shares seven things about her book.   1.       Dangerous Impulses is # 9 in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. Though every mystery is complete, every crime solved and the book written as a stand-alone, things happen to the continuing characters: the police officers and their families. Rocky Bluff is a small Southern California Beach community, located between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and mostly overlooked by tourists. 2.       In every RBPD mystery/crime novel there are ongoing characters. One of the most popular with readers is Officer Gordon Butler. Nothing ever seems to go easy for him. Though he is not the “star” in Dangerous Impulses like he was in No Bells , I think his fans will be happy with what he ends up doing near the end of the book. Other characters are: Detective Milligan and his wi

Don’t Let Perfection and Procrastination Steal Your Writing Success

“Writing happens when you stay consistent and keep encouraging yourself that it’s okay to put words on the page.”   - Rebecca Camarena, author   You’ve started your book and you’ve written a few pages. You’re on a roll and when you stop for the day you promise to write daily. But the next thing you know you haven’t written in days. When you start writing each time you type a sentence, your inner editor cringes. You’re terrified you’re going to write something dreadful, so you don’t write anything. You stare at the blank page. You may have even started to question whether you should be writing a book at all. In your mind you wrote something great that first day and you consider yourself a great writer. Writers have this image of the literary greats sitting at their typewriters banging out their stories. You think they sit down and keep writing from the first page to the last. Since you want to emulate them you feel that you have to be perfect each time you write. If this sou