Skip to main content

Thursday Thirteen – Thirteen Things about When Life Throws You Lemons…Make Cranberry Juice




1. The title, When Life Throws You Lemons…Make Cranberry Juice! came about from someone saying to me “When life throws you lemons, make lemonade” after suffering severe brain surgery complications.

2. My philosophy is to accept positive things in life (cranberries) in spite of, not because of life’s negative things (lemons).

3. I had a brain tumor removed in 2006, which was supposed to be “routine, simple, with no lasting effects.” A complication ensued, keeping me in the hospital for many months and leaving me with some life-long challenges. Through it all, my mind was clear, and I remembered everything. People, including close friends, did not know how to act around me or what to say when my world imploded. I wrote a book about my experiences with doctors, nurses, therapists, friends, and family. While my story certainly can come off as tragic, flashes of my wicked sense of humor lighten the tone of the book.

4. Nemo, of Finding Nemo fame, is mentioned three times.

5. The story I tell in the book about meeting NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback Steve Young still makes me smile.

6. There is a quote at the beginning of each chapter. My daughter’s quote, “Most parents say they would die for their kids. My mom loves me enough to live.” always makes me cry!

7. I am a marine biologist and I served as the naturalist on an Alaskan cruise.

8. I had to learn to walk, talk, breathe, and eat again after my surgery. People still think I’m drunk all the time!

9. When I couldn’t eat, I loved smelling chocolate! Chocolate frosting was my favorite.

10. My kids, Abby and Andy, are my biggest cheerleaders, most protective allies, and harshest critics!

11. We got great floor seats at a concert after asking for handicapped seating. I refer to this type of benefit as a “cranberry,” NOT “lemonade.”

12. I hope my story inspires others to work hard to achieve their goals.

13. My book’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/When-Life-Throws-You-LemonsMake-Cranberry-Juice/294515330542

Visit Shari's tour page with Pump Up Your Book;




About Shari Bookstaff


Shari Bookstaff grew up in Milwaukee, WI, dreaming of becoming a marine biologist. She made it to California and is currently a biology professor, teaching at a community college near San Francisco. While her specialty is marine mammals, she recently expanded her course offerings to include a class on the human brain. Inspired by her own medical trials, Shari continues to merge her personal and professional interests.


Shari lives with her two children (and two dogs) in a small town just south of San Francisco, near the ocean. While her disabilities make life harder, she is determined to continue walking on the beach, attending concerts, and cheering at football games.

You can find more about Shari and When Life Throws You Lemons…Make Cranberry Juice on her website at http://www.wix.com/lemonsandcranberries/lemons



Book Excerpt


I have learned that life’s lemons were raining down on me, whacking me in the face; whereas life’s cranberries were so small I could walk on them, squish them like a mosquito, and not notice them. Lemons included sickness, death, and dwindling finances; while cranberries were as simple as a smile, eye contact, or a pat on the back. Some of my cranberries snuck up on me and surprised me.

I went to a Monday Night Football game, hosted by the Houston Texans, with my family just after Thanksgiving, 2008. As Matt’s guests, we parked and entered the stadium through areas designated for players’ families. Once inside, we had a long walk to our seats, so an employee brought me a wheelchair. When I finally got to my seat, I stayed put the entire game.


After the game, the wheelchair guy came back and took me to the player’s post-game reception. We met up with Matt at the reception, but before he got comfortable, Abby asked him if we could go on the field. Abby and Andy had never been on a football field, and they had wanted to go on one for years. We walked out onto the field and it was awesome. We looked at the spot where Matt had tried to throw a touchdown pass, and the spot where the ball was kicked for field goals.


Then, my sister Stephanie asked me if Steve Young was an announcer for Monday night games.
I said, “He might be. Why?”


She said, “I think he’s right over there.”


He was. Steve Young was on the other side of the field, conducting post-game interviews.
“Wow!” I thought. “Another chance to meet my biggest celebrity crush?”


I hobbled across the field, towards the bright television lights, moving faster than I had moved in two and a half years. He was busy working, so I was not able to say hello to him again, but feeling that rush of adrenaline that made me nearly run across the football field worked more magic than a week’s worth of prozac! Part of me was still a woman. Part of me could still get goose bumps over a man. Part of me was still ambitious enough to chase down Steve Young. Part of me was still alive.



Shari Bookstaff’s WHEN LIFE THROWS YOU LEMONS VIRTUAL BOOK TOUR ‘10 will officially begin on October 4 and end on December 17. If you would like to participate in this tour, please contact Tracee Gleichner at tgleichner(at)live(dot)com. Thank you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frank Nash: the Most Inspirational English Teacher I Ever Did Know! By Vincent Zandri author of The Remains

I never set out to be a writer. Back in 1979, when I entered the Second Form in a 200 year old, all boys, military school called, The Albany Academy, I simply wanted to become a rock n’ roll star. Like Ringo or Keith Moon, I wanted to play drums in a huge rock band, make a ton of money doing it, get lots of girls, and see the world. While most of the uniformed boys sat attentively in math class, taking copious notes, I drew illustrations of huge drums sets and stared out the window. All that changed when for the first time, I was introduced to Frank Nash in my second term English lit and writing course. First thing that caught my attention was the classroom itself. The Academy was an old building even back then, having been built in the 1920s. Made of stone and strong woods, with real blackboards instead of chalk boards, the place seemed like a kind of time warp. A school caught perpetually in the 19th century instead of one that would see the 21st century in only two more decades. But

Don’t Let Perfection and Procrastination Steal Your Writing Success

“Writing happens when you stay consistent and keep encouraging yourself that it’s okay to put words on the page.”   - Rebecca Camarena, author   You’ve started your book and you’ve written a few pages. You’re on a roll and when you stop for the day you promise to write daily. But the next thing you know you haven’t written in days. When you start writing each time you type a sentence, your inner editor cringes. You’re terrified you’re going to write something dreadful, so you don’t write anything. You stare at the blank page. You may have even started to question whether you should be writing a book at all. In your mind you wrote something great that first day and you consider yourself a great writer. Writers have this image of the literary greats sitting at their typewriters banging out their stories. You think they sit down and keep writing from the first page to the last. Since you want to emulate them you feel that you have to be perfect each time you write. If this sou

Seven Things About Dangerous Impulses

Today, I we have author F.M. Meredith visiting with us. I have had the pleasure of meeting Marilyn at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival a number of years ago. Join me as she shares seven things about her book.   1.       Dangerous Impulses is # 9 in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. Though every mystery is complete, every crime solved and the book written as a stand-alone, things happen to the continuing characters: the police officers and their families. Rocky Bluff is a small Southern California Beach community, located between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and mostly overlooked by tourists. 2.       In every RBPD mystery/crime novel there are ongoing characters. One of the most popular with readers is Officer Gordon Butler. Nothing ever seems to go easy for him. Though he is not the “star” in Dangerous Impulses like he was in No Bells , I think his fans will be happy with what he ends up doing near the end of the book. Other characters are: Detective Milligan and his wi