Skip to main content

Dear Diary Day - tracking your writing progress


Today, is Dear Diary Day. 

Do you keep a journal or diary while you write your book? 

As a child and teenager I wrote in journals. They chronicled my everyday life, the hopes and dreams of typical young girl. But I never showed them to anyone. 

Today, I take a more calculated approach to journaling in between note-taking and free writing, I also use a journal to tracking my book writing progress. 

I can hear you saying why would you want to track your book writing progress. The story is already there on paper. However, tracking your progress isn't only about daily timed writing or daily word counts.  

Here's some ways that journaling can work for you.

  • Journaling allows you to track how you feel when you're writing, your joys, inspirations, up and downs. 
  • Arguments you might be having with your characters or maybe they're wanting to take over the story.
  • On days when your are feeling less than and you still want to reach your writing goals then write down how you are feeling. This might just be the motivation you need to clear up your writer's block. 
  • The time of day when you write. Are you more productive at one time versus another. 
  • Do a free-write before and "how do you feel" write after your writing time.

Many of the literary greats kept a journal of their writing progress. John Steinbeck, Pulitzer Prize winning author of more than 25 novels including The Grapes of Wrath and Cannery Row noted his conversations between him and his publisher (this was in the days before email. He wrote about having a little extra money and bought two ducks to swim in the pond in his yard. 

A few entries later he states that he sold the ducks to buy paper to keep writing and that they made a horrible mess. Yes, Steinbeck was very poor when he was penning his stories and being rejected.In another instance when Steinbeck had reached a very low point with his writing, he told his editor

 "I wonder you don't lose faith in my future. Everyone else does. For myself, I haven't brains enough to quit. Maybe you haven't brains enough to get out from under the wreck." 

Getting the words on the page is difficult enough. Pick a journal and let yourself have some fun. You can find an assortment of journals on Amazon. 

 To Your Book Writing Success! 

 

ABOUT REBECCA 


Rebecca Camarena is an inspiring book writing and publishing coach. She is an international Best-Selling author of the women’s anthology book, Out of My Comfort Zone: Stories of Courage, Perseverance and Victory.

Rebecca is known for helping experts, entrepreneurs, coaches and others write their life changing stories. As a Book Coach, Rebecca has specialized expertise helping authors with all aspects of book writing; from vision to concept to writing and publishing.

Rebecca is a wife (caregiver to her husband), mother and grandmother and earned a Bachelor’s degree in English Literature after raising her family. The beach is her happy place where she enjoys the sand, surf and sun. She lives in Los Angeles, California.

 If you'd like to know how I got out of my comfort zone and started writing then check out my book, Out of My Comfort Zone: Stories of Courage, Perseverance and Victory.

Purchase Your Copy Today at RebeccaCamarenaBooks



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frank Nash: the Most Inspirational English Teacher I Ever Did Know! By Vincent Zandri author of The Remains

I never set out to be a writer. Back in 1979, when I entered the Second Form in a 200 year old, all boys, military school called, The Albany Academy, I simply wanted to become a rock n’ roll star. Like Ringo or Keith Moon, I wanted to play drums in a huge rock band, make a ton of money doing it, get lots of girls, and see the world. While most of the uniformed boys sat attentively in math class, taking copious notes, I drew illustrations of huge drums sets and stared out the window. All that changed when for the first time, I was introduced to Frank Nash in my second term English lit and writing course. First thing that caught my attention was the classroom itself. The Academy was an old building even back then, having been built in the 1920s. Made of stone and strong woods, with real blackboards instead of chalk boards, the place seemed like a kind of time warp. A school caught perpetually in the 19th century instead of one that would see the 21st century in only two more decades. But

Seven Things About Dangerous Impulses

Today, I we have author F.M. Meredith visiting with us. I have had the pleasure of meeting Marilyn at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival a number of years ago. Join me as she shares seven things about her book.   1.       Dangerous Impulses is # 9 in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. Though every mystery is complete, every crime solved and the book written as a stand-alone, things happen to the continuing characters: the police officers and their families. Rocky Bluff is a small Southern California Beach community, located between Ventura and Santa Barbara, and mostly overlooked by tourists. 2.       In every RBPD mystery/crime novel there are ongoing characters. One of the most popular with readers is Officer Gordon Butler. Nothing ever seems to go easy for him. Though he is not the “star” in Dangerous Impulses like he was in No Bells , I think his fans will be happy with what he ends up doing near the end of the book. Other characters are: Detective Milligan and his wi

Thirteen Things About The Bedtime of the Sky and Other Sleepy-Bye Stories

The Bedtime of The Sky and Other Sleepy Bye Stories is an illustrated Children's book of five of my original bedtime stories in verse. This book was actually written long ago for my nieces and nephew, John, Catherine and Elizabeth, when they were very young children. Although they are now in college, actually two have graduated, I do have a new little reader to write for, my four year old niece Jillian! I love writing poetry and fantasy stories and to mix magic with ordinary experiences. These bedtime stories in verse reflect my idea that there is magic in everyday events. For instance, I just know that there is a Dragon in the sock drawer that eats socks so we cannot find them, or that Dolls have a secret longing to help us clean up our room late at night! A little about myself, I was born in England and although my parents moved us all back to America about a year after I was born, I truly believe that the stories and British classics that I grew up with, have had a huge impact i